Monday, July 27, 2009

Cloudy Days in Alaska

We were having such nice, super hot weather a couple weeks ago. The heat lasted for a few weeks, but the bad thing about having lots of heat here in Southern Alaska is that wild fires start really easily, since it's so dry in the area I live in. The smoke in the air got so bad it was deemed unhealthy, and I think all of us were relieved when we first got a bunch of rain. At first it was so nice to hear the pitter-patter of rain on the windows and the ground. The rain soaked the plants and renewed the vibrant green of the forests (I can't think of any place that has more shades of green than Alaska!). It was so uplifting to open my window and watch the rain hitting the plants. I loved it so much I took a video of it and put in on Youtube. (if you want to watch that video, it's titled {-the rain-} )
But now, after a couple weeks of rain, it's gotten to be a little much. Now there is flood warnings. It cleared up a bit yesterday and gave us a beautiful relief from the rain, and I was really hoping the heat would last a couple days. But alas, I woke up this morning to a completely gray skies and a grumpy mother. I love the rain; really, I do. The very sound and smell of it is enough to heal any sickness, in my opinion. But here in Alaska, too much rain is just as bad as too much sun. And I kind of feel like it's my fault. Why? Because I did a little weather magick to try to get rid of the wild fires. Watch this video for more information: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkzFLohaR_w
Essentially, I just feel bad about it, even though I also feel it was the right thing to do. Because now people are complaining and complaining about the weather, and I feel like I ruined everyone's summer. I suppose I learned my lesson =_= *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment