Thursday, February 4, 2010

Avatar

Okay, first things first. My Imbolc was aaaaaaaaah~mazing, absolutely invigorating and completely fun. The day was gorgeous, although some believe that good weather on Imbolc means bad weather for Spring. But we'll just have to wait and see, nyah?

Okay, now back to the topic of my post.

Avatar.

Last night I caved and went to see it with my buddy Lucas. (half-buddy...half-kinda-sorta-crush? Idk. He really likes me. And I kinda like him. But whatever.) Anyway, back on topic. I went and saw it last night.
Now, for those of you who don't now, Avatar is about a planet called Pandora that is much like our own, but the air isn't breathable for humans. So, a bunch of us humans go there to get this amazingly valuable...rock. Now, here's the thing. There is an indigenous race of people there called the NA'vi. They worship the nature around them and know that everything is intricately intwined. The whole planet, every piece of nature, is connected and alive, with more "synapses" than the human brain. And the NA'vi know how to access this power. They worship it. They worship life. Now, they live on a huge, huge, huge tree. Bigger than five thousand skyscrapers put together. They call it the Hometree. And, well, their Hometree is set on top of the biggest deposit of said-valuable rock on the planet. And these nasty humans want it now. So they bring in a bunch of troops. One of these men is a man named Jake Sulley, who has lost the use of his legs. They put him in a coffin-like contraption and link his mind and body to an avatar that looks like one of the NA'vi, and send him out with others. He gets seperated from the others, due to his stupidity, if that's what you'd like to call it. He encounters the NA'vi, and claim him as their own because they get a sign from Eywa (that's what they call the spirit of the planet; in essence, their Goddess). The humans come in and begin destroying everything, even their Hometree, just to get to this rock. But Jake Sulley, in his NA'vi body, convinces The People (that's what they call themselves) to stand up and fight.
Now, doesn't this sound remarkably familiar?
It sure does to me. This sort of thing has happened throughout the human history, especially in the last 2000 years. And that's the message of the movie: that if we keep doing what we're doing, destroying our Mother for profit, that we will wipe ourselves out. But if we people overcome the greed and selfishness that is so inherent in our species, we can stand up and defend our planet. We can save our planet. We just need to try.
During this movie, I was in awe, and in tears. At the end of the movie, I couldn't stop shaking. It was a very intense movie, not just because of the amazing graphics, but because of the relate-ability.
I have a feeling that because of this movie, people are going to be even more determined in their efforts to save this planet. And I am glad of it.
Light a candle and send energy towards those fighting for the Mother. And then get up, and go save the planet as well.
That's what I'm going to be doing.

Blessed Be.

2 comments:

  1. Ho man, I loved this movie so much - what really got me was "There's no green there. They killed their Mother [...]" That struck sort of a spirtual home for me. Glad you liked it. ;D

    -Jen Gen. I think I might cave and set up an account here so I can comment on you and Mrs B's pagan soccer mom blog properly XD;

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realized today that Avatar has the exact same storyline as Fern Gully. I love that movie XD

    ReplyDelete