Saturday, July 3, 2010

1/1001

http://dayzeroproject.com/user/BeckyBoodles

Gay pride, heck yes!

So, since I haven't posted in a while, I suppose I should fill you in real quick, explaining the photo of this day. I am the founder of the Homer Youth Community Gay-Straight Alliance. Yes, I'm overwhelmed, freaked out, and totally not suited to be a leader, but I'm also extremely excited and as prepared as I can be, plus I have my spirituality supporting me, as well as many friends, both youth and adult. I also have a local chapter of PFLAG behind me.

So, tomorrow is the fourth of July, as you all well know, and so PFLAG and GSA got together (well, a few members from each, mostly PFLAG, but a couple GSA members as well) and created a few banners for the parade. I have to say, I don't think I've ever had this much fun. It seems a bit odd for me to create a GSA when I've had no experience at all with LGBTQ issues, or been in a gay pride parade or festival, or...I don't know...I haven't even met more than a couple LGBTs. Today was a new experience for me, getting together with LGBTQs and creating banners and talking and joking around. It was almost surreal, but at the same time way comfortable, and right, you know? And tomorrow will be an even grander experience when we actually march in the parade.

So, the reason this banner impacted me is because of the phrase itself. It came off an image I found on Google. Born gay: follow the ray. Born straight: refuse to hate." Who can argue with something like that? Hate is a choice. People can justify their reasons for being homophobic, such as growing up around homophobic people, so you were taught that way, so it must be right. I don't think that's a very good reason at all, by the way, because I have a good friend whose mother grew up around extremely racist and homophobic people, and yet is not racist or homophobic in any way. But I digress. My point here is that homophobia is a choice. Go ahead and view homosexuality/bisexuality/transsexuality/etc as "wrong", but you don't have to hate or fear it. To mention another friend, she is very Christian, very commited to her faith, and she believes homosexuality is wrong. BUT she is part of my GSA. Why? Not because she's accepting of homosexuals, but because she knows homophobia does more damage than homosexuality. As she says, homophobia is a greater sin than homosexuality.

I hope our banner inspires people to make the choice that brings peace and tolerance to our community, instead of hate and negativity. I hope our banner impacts other people the way that it impacts me.

No comments:

Post a Comment